What Is Coronavirus? And How To Protect Yourself And Family From It
What Is a Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses known for containing strains that cause potentially deadly diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, they’re typically spread via airborne droplets of fluid produced by infected individuals.
Some rare but notable strains, including Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV), and those responsible for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), can cause death in humans.
How did it start?
This virus isn’t actually”new” – it is merely a newcomer to humans, having jumped from one species to another.
Many of the early cases were connected to this South China Seafood Industry Market, in Wuhan.
Back in China, a lot of people come in to close connection with animals harboring viruses, and the nation’s dense urban populace means that the disease is easily spread.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars), which can also be caused by a coronavirus, started in bats and then infected with the civet cat, and often passed it on to humans.
The Sars epidemic, which started in China in 2002, killed 774 of the 8,098 people infected.
The present virus – one of seven kinds of coronavirus – does not appear to be mutating so far. However, although it seems stable, this is something scientists will be watching closely.
What are the symptoms?
- It seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough.
- After a week, it leads to shortness of breath, and some patients require hospital treatment.
- The incubation period – between infection and showing any symptoms – lasts up to 14 days, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
- But some researchers say it may be as long as 24 days.
- And Chinese scientists say some people may be infectious even before their symptoms appear.
How Can I Protect My Self From Coronavirus?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. if soap and water are not available,
make use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avido touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean And disinfect frequently touched object and surfaces
- Stay at home when you are ill and call this necessary health department for help
The proper way to wear a face mask
– Locate the metal strip at the top of the mask&pin it on your nose bridge
– Cover your nose and mouth properly
– Do not touch the front of the mask
– Wash hands after use
– Do not reuse masks
How can coronavirus be treated or cured?
Right now, treatment relies on the basics – keeping the patient’s body going, including breathing support, until their immune system can fight off the virus.
However, the work to develop a vaccine is underway, and we hoped there would be human trials before the end of the year.
Hospitals are also testing anti-viral drugs to see if they have an impact.
What is the advice in Nigeria?
Anyone experiencing symptoms, even if mild, after traveling from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days, is advised to stay indoors and call the Lagos State Emergency hotlines
If you have returned from the following specific areas since February 19, you should Lagos State Emergency hotlines and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms
Lagos State Emergency hotlines: